Tuesday 3 March 2020

Saga - The Not So Stormin' Normans

And on this day came the Normans to England and they were met by Earl Sihtric who did make battle against them with the Fyrd of Kent which he had assembled.


The horsemen of Normandy did charge upon the English shieldwall three times and by the grace of our Lord were each time thrown back.


Upon the fourth charge the Norman lord did see that a great many of his chief men had fallen and the Kentish men were still firm of foot and not affeared and so he did flee the field.


A bit of a brutally quick game with some incredibly mismatched dice rolling favouring the Anglo-Saxons very heavily. Still, what went well:
  • Getting my warriors into units of more than 10 proved incredibly effective.
And what will I try to take away from this game:
  • Once those big units start dropping below 10 men things start to look a lot less promising. I feel like it may even be worth forming up my hearthguard into one unit as well although my unit count would then be a little low.
  • I took Aethelstan as my general (mostly to make up my force to a full 6 points) and I think I need to do more with him to make him worth the extra point he costs. While he does add an extra saga dice and a commander to each of my warrior units for a little offensive boost he's less capable in combat than the standard (free warlord) and I made no use of the non-Saxon units he allows you to have in your warband. Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment